[uh-kom-uh-deyt]See more synonyms for accommodate on Thesaurus.com
- to do a kindness or a favor to; oblige: to accommodate a friend by helping him move to a new apartment.
- to provide suitably; supply (usually followed by with): The officials were accommodated with seats toward the front of the room.
- to lend money to: Can you accommodate him, or are you short of cash?
- to provide with a room and sometimes with food.
- to furnish with accommodations, as food and lodgings.
- to have or make room for: Will this elevator accommodate 10 people?
- to make suitable or consistent; adapt: to accommodate oneself to circumstances.
- to bring into harmony or make adjustments or allowances for: to accommodate differences; to accommodate your busy schedule.
- to become adjusted or adapted.
- to become reconciled; agree.
Origin of accommodate
1515–25; < Latin accommodātus adjusted (past participle of accommodāre), equivalent to ac- ac- + commod(us) fitting, suitable (com- com- + modus measure, manner) + -ātus -ate1Related formsac·com·mo·da·ble [uh-kom-uh-duh-buhl] /əˈkɒm ə də bəl/, adjectivenon·ac·com·mo·da·ble, adjectivepre·ac·com·mo·date, verb (used with object), pre·ac·com·mo·dat·ed, pre·ac·com·mo·dat·ing.re·ac·com·mo·date, verb, re·ac·com·mo·dat·ed, re·ac·com·mo·dat·ing.un·ac·com·mo·da·ble, adjectiveun·der·ac·com·mo·dat·ed, adjectivewell-ac·com·mo·dat·ed, adjective
Synonyms for accommodateSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
1. serve, aid, assist, help, abet. 7. fit, suit. 8. compose, harmonize.
1. See oblige. 6. See contain.
Antonyms for accommodate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for accommodateshelter, welcome, entertain, rent, contain, hold, integrate, adjust, modify, adapt, fit, provide, afford, sustain, help, serve, supply, harbor, house, domicile
Examples from the Web for accommodate
Contemporary Examples of accommodate
Oxygen levels will be decreased to accommodate fewer people.
“You can host a sit-down diner for 140, and the house can accommodate 700 people at a party,” Davenport says proudly.
If a fan has a Spanish or Japanese accent, George will switch languages to accommodate them.
She's happy to accommodate vegetarians, vegans, and those intolerant of gluten.
“Basically we wanted to create something that could accommodate up to about 50 terrapins,” says Kidner.
Historical Examples of accommodate
The other room is easily large enough to accommodate two girls.
But your eye and your ear will accommodate themselves to both.
Will you be so good as to accommodate me, and that by return of post, with ten pounds?
"It is small, but it will accommodate us," he said, with a smile.
And would it cost you anything to accommodate yourself to his fantasies?
- (tr) to supply or provide, esp with lodging or board and lodging
- (tr) to oblige or do a favour for
- to adjust or become adjusted; adapt
- (tr) to bring into harmony; reconcile
- (tr) to allow room for; contain
- (tr) to lend money to, esp on a temporary basis until a formal loan has been arranged
Word Origin for accommodate
C16: from Latin accommodāre to make fit, from ad- to + commodus having the proper measure
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012Word Origin and History for accommodate
1530s, from Latin accomodatus "suitable," past participle of accomodare "make fit, adapt, fit one thing to another," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + commodare "make fit," from commodus "fit" (see commode). Related: Accommodated; accommodating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harperaccommodate in Medicine
- To become adjusted, as the eye to focusing on objects at a distance.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.Others Are Reading
Word of the Day
Related newsCommons at girard albuquerque
Salaire soudeur aeronautique toulouse
Devenir les marques de parfums
Vark questionnaire scoring chart for cribbage
Unique t-shirt companies
La moda uk blog directory
Editando moda blog uchicago
Petanque video tir de precision
Tout sur le hockey records histoire statistiques des
Residence le jandri les deux alpes accommodation